Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Loveless Professional Development 101

This is my "I'm not amused face."
For the Love! So, I said I wasn’t going to write any more political posts...but then State Senator Kyle Loveless goes and does this….


http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2017-18%20INT/SB/SB20%20INT.PDF

If you don’t want to look through the bill itself, the short version of this requires teacher training on “grooming” and appropriate behavior with students.


Finally! After all of those years of asking for meaningful Professional Development, it is happening! Just what I have always wanted: Professional Development over how to have proper relationships with students.


Like what the what? At the beginning of each school year, in districts across the state of Oklahoma, we are required to watch a series of videos and take quizzes over those videos. Those videos range in topics from child abuse and neglect to sexual harassment, from bullying to how to avoid slipping on a puddle of water. These training videos are time-consuming, and yes, some of them are necessary. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that not having inappropriate relationships with my students and grooming is common knowledge. But, by all means, if you think that will fix the teacher shortage in this state, Senator Loveless, have at it.


The idea that he feels we need additional training on how to not have sexual and inappropriate relations is a slap in the face. To have that level of questioning when it comes to teaching is outrageous. I’m not stupid. I’m not a gross sicko. I’m a great teacher, and I should be respected for that. And how much would this new training cost the state or school districts? Who is going to pay for it? Let’s put forth legislation that will provide the training and professional development we need and we want. That would be money well spent. Or...teacher pay raises. *Cough Cough*

I’m curious, what exactly is his idea of “good” grooming? Because if it involves washing my hair every day, we are going to have a problem. Dry shampoo is a girl’s best friend. Oh wait….that is not the grooming he is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment