Saturday, February 6, 2016

Game On

I will be the first to admit it. I love television. I am Kenneth from 30 Rock. One of my favorite TV shows of all time is The West Wing. I was surprised that I ended up liking this show as much as a did, and I will always and firmly believe that Jed Bartlet is the best President America has ever had.

One of my favorite episodes of The West Wing, came from it's fourth season. President Bartlet, played by Martin Sheen, was in full swing for his reelection to the presidency. The West Wing team was in full debate mode and prepping for the final debate. The phrase they used "Game On." All the team wanted was a "game on" moment, one moment when they knew the President would put his opponent, Florida Governor Richie, played by James Brolin, in the ground and cement the President in the minds of Americans as the best man for the job. The game on moment was on of the best moments of television. When Bradley Whitford's character Josh Lyman (whom I still hold on to as the greatest and cutest White House Staffer ever), proclaimed Game On, I jump off my couch every time.  Oh and Rob Lowe's Sam Seaborne, "Strike him, throw him, anyone wanna spin?' We can talk about the First Lady cutting his tie seconds before he went on stage later!



So why am I writing about this? Because teachers, this is our Game On moment. This is our time to declare Game On to those at our State Capitol that are making the decisions that are terrible for our students and for our state. We will not be silent. We will send emails, we will share our stories, we will invite you to our classrooms, and we will show you what we do is important. We will fight for our students and for our classrooms. We will not be silent and will ask questions. We will fight against ESAs, will fight to make sure that one of the most successful Pre-K programs will stay funded, will fight to see that all school districts and all students get the funding that they deserve. As a choral music educator, I can tell you that I would love to have an accompanist that doesn't have to be paid out of activity funds (funds raised by students) and that I could purchase music from living composers and those composers get the credit they deserve. More importantly I don't want to have to pass on huge costs of running my program to my students and their families. I want the best for my students, and my Game On is strong.

Teachers, together we are better. Let's do this thing. No strikes. Game On!


No comments:

Post a Comment